Herbal Medicine and You
I use an integrated holistic approach in the management of health problems, employing plant remedies, diet, nutritional supplements and exercise to relieve symptoms and treat the underlying problem.
I take time to understanding your lifestyle, diet, medical history, and character before we discuss a plan to manage your health needs. Individual plants remedies are created to support and enhance changes to exercise, diet and lifestyle as part of your unique holistic management plan.
All parts of the management plan must be implemented in order to restore the balance of the body.
Herbal medicine is not just a ‘herbal pill’ it requires YOU to take action.
Our health is a combination of:
1. Our genetic makeup or basic temperament, (Hot blooded or cool, smooth moist-skinned or dry,)
2. What we eat. If your basic temperament is hot and dry you would feel better eating cooling, moistening foods, especially in the summer. If on the other hand you are cool and moist, lettuce-based salads are not the best food for you. You might benefit more from warming spices and vegetables.
3. Exercise. You don’t have to go to the gym or jog 10 miles a day to keep fit. Housework, gardening, walking, and dancing and yoga are all exercise.
4. How we think Matters! It is not only what happens to you, it is how you think about it. Dwelling on angry or worrying thoughts releases stress hormones and makes us feel worse. Meditation, and mindfulness are wonderful techniques for relaxing the mind.
5. Our environment. Working at a computer in a busy office where any infections are shared around, is vastly different to working outside in all weathers doing physically demanding work or running around after small children.
Every person’s lifestyle and genetic makeup is different, and the way we to maintain our health is also different – no two people would follow the same holistic management plan.
In a herbal consultation, we explore and monitor all these aspects to see how small changes could improve your health. Herbal medicine can be used alongside these changes to bring your body back to health or to enable you to manage more comfortably, problems which cannot be altered.
Although certain herbs have an affinity for particular organs or systems of the body it is very unlikely that two people would have an identical management plan or prescription, we are all individuals!